Friday, January 02, 1970

Time Machine: Children's Hour - July 16, 1958

These five index cards will fall out of a book in 2024 in Rome, Georgia and remind me of my first few days in Ellijay and with my new friends at Watkins Memorial Methodist Church.  

Here's my message from the future -- March 18, 2024: 

-----

I was packing up the huge library of "preacher books" from my Mother's house as we try to empty it so we can list it for sale. Many of the books date from my Dad's ministry in central Kentucky, southern Ohio, and northern Georgia in the fifties and sixties. 

In the summer of 1958 my Daddy, a newly ordained elder in the North Georgia Conference of "The Methodist Church," was appointed to Watkins Memorial Methodist Church in Ellijay. 


The first card held the outline of activities for the "Children's Hour" at the church on July 16 of that year. 

Gospel lessons

The contestants: Patsy Jane Wimpee, Sara Jo Poindexter, Charlyse Poindexter, Jane Poindexter, Terry Shaw (me, Terrell Shaw), Debbie Shaw, Carol Shaw, Margaret Youngblood, Dana Youngblood, Doris Dover.

The Bible drill winner? Charlyse (7) At least Sara Jo and Kathy managed a point each. In defense of the three preacher's kids who totally bombed: we had only moved to town a few days before!


I'll bet if the first game is ever played these days the name has been changed! I remember playing this silly game. Here's a link to Wikipedia's article about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poor_pussy




No comments:

Post a Comment