Sunday, November 11, 2007

Sunday Concert: An American Dream

The Wheels of a Dream
from
Ragtime
The Musical
by Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty

sung by Bryn Terfel and Renee Fleming


I was looking for a military chorus version of the Marine Hymn in honor of Veteran's Day and my daddy the Marine. Somehow I came across this wonderful song instead. Arhens and Flaherty are two of my favorite composers and this is a favorite song of mine. Maybe the dreams and ambitions this couple have for their son describe pretty clearly the dreams of Marines like my father, who gave or risked their lives for this land. It's not exactly a patriotic hymn, but maybe it will remind us of the love of fathers and mothers for daughters and sons. And maybe we can rededicate ourselves to the dream of an America where...
"... hope
Will always gleam!
With the promise of happiness
And ... freedom ..."

Enjoy.





[COALHOUSE]
I see his face.
I hear his heartbeat.
I look in those eyes.
How wise they seem.
Well, when he is old enough
I will show him America
And he will ride
on the wheels of a dream.

[COALHOUSE]
We'll go down South

[SARAH]
Go down South,

[COALHOUSE]
And see your people

[SARAH]
See my folks.

[COALHOUSE]
Won't they take to him

[SARAH]
They'll take to him

[COALHOUSE]
Like cats to cream!

[SARAH]
Mmm...

[COALHOUSE]
Then we'll travel on from there.

[SARAH]
California or who knows where!

[BOTH]
And we will ride
On the wheels of a dream.

[COALHOUSE]
Yes, the wheels are turning for us, girl.
And the times are starting to roll.
Any man can get where he wants to
If he's got some fire in his soul.
We'll see justice, Sarah,
And plenty of men
Who will stand up
And give us our due.
Oh, Sarah, it's more that promises.
Sarah, it must be true.
A country that let's a man like me
Own a car, raise a child, build a life with you...

[COALHOUSE]
With you...

[SARAH]
With you...

[BOTH]
Beyond that road,
Beyond this lifetime
That car full of hope
Will always gleam!
With the promise of happiness
And the freedom he'll live to know.
He'll travel with head held high,
Just as far as his heart can go
And he will ride-
Our son will ride-
On the wheels of a dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment