My Daddy's first Christmas in the service was in 1943. He would have been in San Diego -- at Camp Pendleton I suppose. What an ornate and HUGE Christmas card for his mother, my Mama Shaw, Lillian Ophelia Wilkerson Shaw.
 |
| It measures eight inches wide and ten inches tall. The rectangle (actually a tall rhombus) with the winter scene with sleigh is printed on silk over a soft backing that protrudes through a window in the card. |
 |
| There is a whole second card attached to the front. |
 |
| "with love from Charles" |
 |
"Mamma tell everyone I said I wish I could get them something for Christmas but I had to slip out to the P.X. to get this. You know we are quarentined [sic] for 7 wks. We can't even leave our area with out a D.I. (drill Instructor) going along." "Love Charles" |
 |
Found with this card in Daddy Shaw's trunk was second card from (I think) the next Christmas. See December 25, 1944.
After the war Mother and Daddy sat and read through their wartime letters to each other and then burned them. How I wish they had not done that. So I was particularly pleased to find at least two small reminders of Dady's correspondence during the war. I have no doubt that there was AT LEAST one other card sent in the same mailing as each of these-- to Ruth Baird Shaw and his two little girls. |
No comments:
Post a Comment