My Daddy's second Christmas in the service was in 1944. He would have been somewhere in the Pacific on, or at least fairly near, Ulithi atoll. What an ornate and HUGE (though not quite as huge as the one he had sent the year before) Christmas card for his mother, my Mama Shaw, Lillian Ophelia Wilkerson Shaw.
| It measures 6.75 inches wide and eight inches tall. The oval with the winter scene is printed on silk over a soft backing that protrudes through a window in the card. |
| "To Mother one of the sweetest Dearest persons in the world and to the sweetest dearest Daddy too." "From Charles" |
| Found with this card in Daddy Shaw's trunk was second card from (I think) the previous Christmas. See December 25, 1943. |
After the war Mother and Daddy sat and read through their wartime letters to each other and then burned them. How I wish they had not done that. So I was particularly pleased to find at least two small reminders of Dady's correspondence during the war. I have no doubt that there was AT LEAST one other card sent in the same mailing as each of these-- to Ruth Baird Shaw and his two little girls.
No comments:
Post a Comment