Wednesday, December 09, 2020

Advent Ornament 9: Sheila's Baskets





Jimmy Carter had been elected just a few weeks earlier. I had packed a bunch of peanuts to share with my generally Republican family and we drove toward Wilmore, Kentucky. There we would celebrate Thanksgiving with my parents, siblings, and assorted other relatives at my sister Jan's house. Sheila crocheted colorful and tiny ornaments as I drove. So these little baskets are now 44 years old and a dozen or more of them have decorated our trees each of those years. I think they rank as heirlooms by now.  



Sheila says the instructions came from Women's Day or Family Circle magazine which suggested filling them with small candies. .We always just fill them with tiny colored glass balls -- the candy wouldn't last the season around here. 


No comments:

Post a Comment