Friday, December 04, 2020

Saturday Song: My Favorite Present

What's the favorite present you have ever received? Here's the story behind one of mine. 

For several years in my late fifties and early sixties, I was privileged to study voice with Angela Flannigan McRee. I had worked with Angela in some plays and known her for a while. I always loved to sing, but thought of myself as a folk singer. But my interests had turned to musical theater and I'd had a chance to sing leads in Shenandoah, and Fiddler on the Roof, and The Secret Garden. And even sang a minor role in an operetta at Shorter College. 

In those roles I had gotten a little coaching from some wonderful musicians like Brian Horne and James Willis. I had had just a few voice lessons from a great voice teacher, Bob Jones. I remember coming home from my first lesson with Bob and telling Sheila, "I already feel like a better singer for just an hour of help from Bob."  And, of course, years of choir and solo singing at Trinity United Methodist Church under Rachel Jones and Kam Malone helped. 

But now I was taking lessons every week, for several years from Anglea, and loving it. She would help me record a song every now and then and I started a "ReverbNation" station for my recordings online. Some are very amateur, but I sure had a good time singing them.

Then Angela suggested we record the beautiful duet made famous by Josh Groban and Charlotte Church (and others) "The Prayer". I loved it and we recorded my parts separate from hers. I would be pleased to have this duet with my coach! 

But there was duplicity at work. Angela was tricking me and I was clueless.  It turned out she and her co-conspirator were conniving to record someone-else singing the "Charlotte Church" parts and electronically combining that singer's beautiful voice with my "Josh Groban" singing. The result is perhaps the favorite surprise gift I've ever been given. 

Here it is. My surprise duet with my youngest daughter, Lillian.















No comments:

Post a Comment