Tuesday, December 08, 2020

Advent Ornament 8: “A heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others”

When I auditioned for a part in Rome Little Theatre's performances of The Wizard of Oz in 1993 I had my heart set on playing the Lion. Instead I was cast as the Wizard. In that title role I got to play, sort of, four roles - Professor Marvel, the Doorkeeper of Oz, the Cabbie, and The Wonderful Wizard. I loved the Wizard role but I was jealous of the lion's great solos. Brannon, a little kid at the time, played a "flying monkey". 

Sheila bought these Wizard of Oz ornaments for us to commemorate the fun we had with lots of great friends in that production. Several years later I got to reprise the role in a concert version with Sam Baltzer's group at the City Auditorium. It's great to reminisce about those times as we hang the Tinman, the Lion, and the Scarecrow ornaments on our tree each year.




No comments:

Post a Comment