Friday, December 04, 2020

Advent Ornament 4: Armuchee

I doubt there was a year during my 33 years of teaching that I was not awarded a new ornament at Christmastime by one or more of my students. Putting up the tree each year is a time to remember those beloved students. Sometimes they were garish, or just strange, or touching, or even elegant. 

This one is from a fine young fellow named Porter Law and it reminds me of my fourteen happy years at rmuchee Elementary School and all the wonderful kids I worked with there. 


Enough time has passed and the kids who put such love into this giant ornament have grown-up and will understand that it is with great love that I describe it as cheap and gaudy. Still I proudly display it on our tree year after year. I'm not sure which name Sharpied onto its surface was responsible for the purchase of this plastic monstrosity -- at Dollar Tree most likely -- but it is signed by all of Mr. Shaw's Stars of that year and so... I treasure it and find it absolutely lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment