Monday, December 28, 2020

The Fourth Day of Christmas: Parades

This is an update of a post from 2005. The photos were taken by Liilain at the Rome Christmas parade that year. 

My wife keeps me from aging quite so quickly by dragging me to, among other things, the Christmas Parade. We had to go the the parade when our kids were little because it is a part of common law that little kids have to go to the Christmas Parade. We braved the elements to watch in their school years because they were in the parade (band, scouts, school floats, etc.) and there is a well-established law that requires parents to attend when kids are on display. 

This year [2005] we had no child in the parade. Sheila drug me there anyway. [And several times since] And I'm glad she did. 

We have float competitions, so there are always floats with someone holding an award plaque. And each participant has a number. We have about 120 or so. Several bands, businesses, radio stations, churches, scout troops, civic groups, Red Hat ladies, Shriners, Sons of Confederate Vets, retirement homes, and, of course, Miss This, Miss That, and Little Miss the Other. 

Up and down the crowds roam venders hawking glow sticks, balloons, etc. All very picturesque -- and youthifying, I'm sure.

--------------------
202O Postscript

The parade was a reverse parade this year: the floats were stationary along the drive at State Mutual Stadium and viewers were encouraged to drive their cars through the stationary parade, thus remaining safe from the Covid-virus that has ended over American 300,000 lives this year and upended everyone's lives. We had intended to go, but somehow missed it. Maybe next year on Broad?

I remember going home from the parade when Brannon and Lillian were little with an aching neck from allowing one girl or the other to ride my shoulders all night for a better view of the passing floats or to see Santa as he lit the city tree. I miss that ache.

In recent years, when it's been just me and Sheila,  I've attended not so much to watch the parade as to watch Sheila watching the parade. She really enjoys it and I really enjoy her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment